Wednesday, August 28, 2013

4th grade teacher, all subjects August 28th, 2013

So today I started my job as a 4th grade teacher! I will be working at a "parochial" school that allows non seculars to attend and work there. Today I spent the day moving my books etc into my classroom and putting them on the shelves. I got my class list, I have three Mohammeds, two of whom are actually named Mohammed Mohammed ( go figure) and most of the children seem to be girls. Ok I can deal with that. I know I am coming into a situation where I gotta put my foot down hard right from the start. I also know that if I make learning fun, the kids will be too busy enjoying themselves to be much of a hassle.

Most of the employees are women, and they all seem rather nice...but yeah, today being our first day together. I imagine they decided not to let the claws come out till tomorrow! hahahahahahaahah! Not really! I have high hopes, as we all seem to be interested in the children. 4th grade...I remember 4th grade....I began attending Marianne School...my teacher was Ron Mitchell. He was a very new, young and handsome teacher at the school! Well I am new...but I ain't handsome...sorta fine will probably do for me...hahahahahahah ( sad you see, cuz your sorta fine...but the closer I get to you baby you drive me stone outta my mind)!

 The purpose of this blog is to try to log my adventures daily. I know there will be crazy stories to tell, cuz kids are a fount of crazy things happening! Today though, was just the teachers and some admin folks running around looking extremely hassled. I got my room together today..it's all set up with tables and chairs; I opted for tables as opposed to desks because I think some of my student swill have trouble learning due to language. Also, because i knew a few of them do not speak very much English yet, I will have them work in groups all year long. They will not, however, stay int eh same group every assignment. Each week, they groups will change so that they all get really comfortable with each other, know each others strengths and weaknesses. This way I hope to foster a sense of community among them.

Apparently, they all are Somali refugee children. Most have been here since K-4, but a few have not. I have the idea that each week I will appoint a "Sergeant at Arms", an assistant if you like. Their job will be to pass out corrected work, help keep the classroom clean, pass out any art supplies, workbooks and generally be my boy or girl Friday. Everybody will get at least 4-8 chances to be a SAA. This will develop leadership qualities in those that have them but keep them hidden; it will encourage a positive self esteem and mostly it will teach the children who they are as individuals and as a group.

I am also going to make the children responsible for their education, or at least teach them how to be. I will try any number of ideas that pop into my head; the idea being that if they are actively responsible for what they are learning , or not, they will be too busy to give me a hard time. If it all works out, my big plan to buy a video camera, I already have editing capability, and since I hear the kids all love to write, spelling is really big with my group, I think I feel a Clara Mohammed Soap Opera bubbling up inside me!

So, stay tuned! I will have to keep up with this blog as it will be added to my application for the PhD program at Cardinal Stritch, my Alma Mater. I got my first MBA here...never had so much fun as I did those two years. So on with the show.... Oh yeah, I want to get a PhD in Education Leadership. I have to be actively teaching and the school has to write a letter of recommendation so I gotta keep this blog current or no PhD for me! Bloody heck! Don't worry I will de some serious editing before I let anyone on the accetance committe at Stritch read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment