And we are right back where we started! This marks the 7th day that the kids have done no more than about an hour's worth of work. They are hungry and eager, but really not allowing me to do what I need to do. However, my efforts are also being thwarted by other things as well, so I cannot blame the children for everything.
While I know I am the adult in the situation, I am no longer willing to yell, scream, or give out extra energy without some "return on my investment!" Not to say I am giving up, but am considering other options that include extreme positive reinforcements. I have all kinds of really fun activities which I will reward students who perform well with, it is going to be quite a different scene next week!
I will begin with singling out the students that I know for sure want to learn. These students I will shower with positive activities, praises and treats. All those who interrupt, cannot stay seated, refuse to participate will get minimal attention, no treats and no chance to be part of any activities until they decide to do things my way!
Let's see who wins!!!!!!!
I don't know how many people I have met who have said, "I wanted to be a teacher, but found I didn't like having to discipline my kids..." I'm sure that's how many of them got into the Library field (my field). I think you are very smart to take the road you are taking, after all, they say negative attention is still attention!
ReplyDeleteI agree and what happened today was amazing!
Delete