Monday, October 21, 2013

I cried on the way home today! It was such an amazing day, I am on cloud 9!

To begin with, the children came to class this morning ready to learn! We spent 6 hours working on math and reading. I created a practice test for them, and we are gong through it one problem at a time, math word problems to be exact. I walk them through each problem, explaining what it is they need to be able to do. It went very well.

But the main thing that made me happiest is this: The two young men who have been in the country for one year, and hardly participate in class, actually answered a couple of questions during class participation and they were correct! I knew they were smart enough I just had to get them to the point where they would take the risk and jump off the cliff, take a leap of faith as it were!

Here's how I did it: I simply told them if 4th grade is too difficult, we could walk down to the principal and see about putting them in 2nd or 3rd grade. Two minutes later they were participating! This is huge!!!!!!! The others were so pleased they started clapping! It was great! HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY THAT I LOVE MY KIDS? Never a dull moment, never the feeling that I want to quit...just the thought, what can I do to make it better for them?

1 comment: