A daily log of what happens in my classroom. I will be teaching 4th grade, all subjects at a Muslim school. The students are mostly Muslim, as are most of the teachers. Should be an interesting experience and should open the door to post graduate school for me!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Hump day, bump day!
Wow! Can you say a horrible day?! I have come to the conclusion that my kids and I have a communication block. I think because they speak a Somali dialect at home and Ebonics with friends they do not really get some of the information I ma trying to give. We did exactly 30 minutes of spelling and I spent the rest of the day just trying to get them to obey instructions. I have decided that starting tomorrow we will discuss what they learned as kindergartners, then first graders and so on...hoping that by week 3 or four they are ready to rock and roll. I love them, they love me, but yeah, love don't make the educational world go round. So I will be putting things like teaching them new spelling words on the back burner till we get this communication thing right. I might even have to do a ESL type approach.....wow...got my work cut out! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to suggest this to promote the Art Museum of course: there is a program called "Sharp Literacy" which gives Docent-Lead tours through the Museum. I don't know if your school has the money to do that sort of thing, but it would be worth googling "Sharp Literacy" to look at the foundation and see if you can work with them at all. I watched a video about the program today and received a packet (I have yet to look through) that can give you more information. They are active in increasing the vocabulary of ESL students. Regular Docent-Lead tours are great for kids, as well, such as "World Communities" and "American History."
ReplyDelete