Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Oh the joys of being able to change the seating arrangement! I put the "bad boys" in the back, the interrupters of the class. It changed the whole atmosphere. Instead of everyone feeding in, they have now begun to realize that the boys int he back are creating a serious obstacle to their education. I had Momo, my best and brightest, time each interruption. By the end of the day, he reported we had wasted 2.50 hours waiting for people to do what they are supposed to do, or for me to repeat instructions. However, I a pleased to announced an " aha" moment.

Remember that English is not my kids first language. So they kept confusing "passed" with "past". I got them to realize that passed has to do with motion and movement and past has to do with time. You should have seen the looks on their faces! I was so proud of them...my kids rock! And I told them so!!!!!!!

But even better, I asked them what they wanted in the treasure chest I was building and you know what they asked for? Bath gel, shampoo and conditioners, hair care products etc. Please keep in  mind that these kids are from refugee camps and so these things are important to them. I am going to the dollar store and hook 'em up. Also I got mad and asked them to write me a three page story about how much better the class will be if everyone acted right...laughed so hard I cried...I will begin posting them tomorrow...thee kids are something else!

Heaven...I'm in heaven.....

2 comments:

  1. Fern, I would love to send a package of stuff to your kids, if you would let me. It would wonderful to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern, just a suggestion, when I was at the Hebron House in Waukesha (homeless shelter) we used to get donations of leftover personal care products from hotels. They let me comb through the basket and take every last travel size bottle of Pantene! Maybe someone at St. Catherine's or the Men's Shelter (which name I'm forgetting right now) could hook you up!

    ReplyDelete