Friday, September 20, 2013

Well what a week. Today was the icing on the cake. One of the boys, who I had taken two toy helicopters from earlier this week, was sitting at his table with his arms in the air. I noticed he had two things on his wrists so I asked him to come to my desk. He comes up and, get this, he has two plastics toys that are made in the shape of the little yellow characters from Despicable me. One was one eyed, the other was two eyed. And these two things are hanging from either wrist. So I said " Didn't I tell you not to bring toys to school?" And he said, just as bold as you please, hang on to your hats:" These aren't toys. They were made to hang on your belt. Like key things!" I looked at his pants and of course he had no belt on. But, I'm game for a little discussion, so I said:" Give them to me." I took them held them up and said " Everybody stop what you are doing. Look at what I have in my hands. Raise your hand if you think this is not a toy!" Of course no one raised their hand. So I turned to the boy who the toys belonged to and I said " Nobody but you is saying that these are not toys." " But they are not!" he said " They are meant to hang on your belt." I said " Put them on the way you had them on when I saw them."So he very obligingly put them on. Then I said" Raise your arms the way they were raised when I noticed these toys!' So he raised his arms, all the while saying " But they're not toys!" So I turn to the class and I say " How many of you think he has these those two things tied to his belt?" The kids started to giggle and so did he. I said " Wait! This is gonna get better! So......you told me they were made to go on your belt." (And while I was talking he started to shake his arms so the toys started bouncing around on his wrists, something he totally seemed to enjoy because he kept making them bounce the whole time I was talking.) I said" Uhmmmmm.......are you wearing a belt?" He hung his head and laughed and so did the other kids. I said " The good thing about this is, when I get home I will probably laugh hard enough to wet my pants. ( All the little kids yelled " EEEEWWWWW!") Now these are mine until the end of the year...go sit down!"

I have discovered something. The key to these kids is: keep them away from their friends. I am going to figure out a new seating arrangement by Monday, because they really cannot deal with their hormones nor their need to be silly.

They got   a lot of work done, though..I am proud of them. They can work independently, but not in groups. I had two kids who got to paint all day long. How? By doing what they were told to do! They are my stars. They got their permission slips to the Jelly Belly Tour and the others have to wait until next week Thursday! The rest of the kids were hopping mad! But they have not figured out that all they have to do is follow instructions. Another boy figured it out today. he suddenly realized that all he had to do is exactly what I tell them to do and he can have a free day as well. The others want to try to debate with me no matter what I say, talk, laugh, giggle and generally do whatever they feel like. Huh! Ferny got something for them. To bad I have to waste so much time getting them to act right. But I am not the only one! All the teachers are having a bad time. I have asked the Arabic teacher to stop in sometimes, just to catch them out! He said he would speak to the Imam and maybe the two of them will come in...I hope so.

I love MS VISIO. With that software I just created a totally new arrangement for my room!! Haha...maybe I don't need the Imam to come to my room.....

No comments:

Post a Comment