Today was orientation. Pretty straight forward: teach the kids, do not suspend the kids, understand the kids, understand the parents, don't call the parents when you are angry...pretty standard stuff. Then we had parent orientation. They didn't say much, but the fact that they came was good...there are a few that are very gung ho...ya get that. But I am soooooooo jazzed.......
But the cool thing: I met two of my students.One little boy is so hot to come to school he seemed disappointed to hear that school starts on Thursday. Sparkling eyes, and eager to learn. I think I'm gonna love this job. My classroom is still in a state of flux, but you know what? I can still teach! My plan for the first two weeks is this:
1. Figure out what level each child is functioning on. I have been told that I have students working at 3-6 grade levels and three children who" cannot learn anything" due to learning disabilities. Hmmmmm...I remember when I was told that the 7th grade class I was going to teach had only children who could not read, write or think so my job was to "entertain" them! So of course, I am going to see if these three kids suffer from a universal illness. I call it " No one can be arsed about finding out the best way for you to learn so they slapped a label on you and push you through each grade cuz they feel sorry for you!" Currently the only cure for that illness is trying to figure out if there is indeed a disability, laziness or as I stated previously, figure out the best way for them to learn.
2. Present everything like it is the most precious jewel they will ever have, teach them to laugh and enjoy learning.
3. Always treat them with dignity and respect, and hope they will respond in kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment